Father Charles H. Lohr, S.J., a noted scholar and editor who taught philosophy at Fordham, died June 21 at Murray-Weigel Hall in the Bronx three days shy of his 90th birthday.
He taught theology and the history of philosophy at Fordham. While at Fordham and in the years that followed he also served as an editor of and contributor to Traditio, a noted scholarly journal devoted to the study of ancient and medieval history, thought and religion.
In 1971 he was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship to continue his studies in renaissance history. He went to Freiburg, Germany, where he taught and conducted research at the University of Freiburg as a professor of history of medieval theology and as director of the Raimundus-Lullus Institute from 1974 to 1990.
He was an authority on the subjects of Ramon Lull and Medieval Western Aristotelianism, a philosophical tradition inspired by the work of Aristotle. He authored and edited many publications, commentaries and books in Latin, German and English. In 2009, in declining health, he was assigned to Murray-Weigel Hall.
Born in Brooklyn, he entered the Society of Jesus in 1952 and was ordained in 1961. He earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Fordham University, a doctorate in philosophy from the University of Freiburg, as well as a bachelor’s of sacred philosophy and a licentiate in sacred theology, also from Fordham.
A Funeral Mass was offered June 27 at Murray-Weigel Hall Chapel. Burial was at the Jesuit Cemetery in Auriesville.