Sister Mary St. John Delany, R.D.C., who served at Pace University for 46 years and founded The Delany Center for Educational Enrichment at Pace, died Sept. 19. She was 95.
Sister Mary St. John served at Pace University, 1971-2017. She founded The Center for Literacy Enrichment, now the Delany Center for Educational Enrichment, for the university’s school of education in 1972 and was its longtime director. She was an associate professor and faculty chair in the School of Education at Pace.
She was principal of St. Anthony of Padua, West Harrison, 1964-1971, and was a teacher and principal of St. Bernard, White Plains, 1944-1964.
Born in Manhattan, she entered the Sisters of the Divine Compassion in 1941 and professed final vows in 1948.
She earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Good Counsel College, White Plains; a master’s in teaching and psychology from Columbia University’s Teachers College, Manhattan; and a doctorate in language and literacy from Fordham University.
A Funeral Mass was celebrated Sept. 23 in the Chapel of the Divine Compassion, White Plains. Burial was in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne.