Bishop John Saklil of Timika


Bishop John Saklil of Timika, Indonesia, known for his staunch commitment to upholding the rights of the indigenous people of Papua and New Guinea died suddenly Aug. 3. He was 59.

Bishop Saklil’s death occurred a week after Pope Francis appointed him as apostolic administrator of the Archdiocese of Merauke, Indonesia, following the dismissal of Bishop Nicolaus Seputra for alleged mismanagement, reported.

Father Dominikus Hodo, head of priests for the Timika Diocese, said Bishop Saklil, who was known to suffer from diabetes, collapsed as he was about to leave for a lunch appointment.

The bishop’s driver and a priest took him to the nearest hospital in Timika, where he died soon after, Father Hodo said.

The bishop had returned two days previously from the Merauke Archdiocese, where he had assumed the role of apostolic administrator.

“I ask all Catholics and Papuans to continue his struggle to defend human rights,” Father Hodo said.

Bishop Saklil was known for speaking out against human rights abuses and government policies that adversely affected indigenous Papuans in eastern Indonesia.

In July he disapproved a decision by local authorities to withdraw state teachers from private schools, saying the move would harm the education of indigenous Papuan children.

He also often condemned the killings of Papuans by security forces, and repeatedly called on the indigenous community not to sell their ancestral lands to outsiders.

Ronny Nakiaya, 35, a parishioner from Timika, told that people were shocked by the prelate’s death. “People loved him. He was a warrior for Papuans,” he said.

Father John Djonga, a human rights activist and a priest in neighboring Jayapura Diocese, called Bishop Saklil’s death a loss amid the struggle against human rights violations in Indonesia’s poorest region.

“Another Papuan leader has had to leave so quickly. This will be a challenge for the people of Papua,” he said.

Bishop Saklil became the first bishop of Timika Diocese when it was formed in 2004 from the Diocese of Jayapura.

A Funeral Mass was offered Aug. 7 with Archbishop Ignatius Suharyo of Jakarta, president of the Indonesian bishops’ conference, presiding.—CNS


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment