Father James T. Ferry, who served in the Philippines for most of his more than six decades as a Maryknoll priest, died May 28 in Manila. He was 95.
In the Philippines, he founded St. Patrick’s High School in Lupon in the 1960s. He served in the late 1950s as a parochial vicar in one parish and later as a pastor in another.
Also in the Philippines, he started a project for obtaining artificial arms and legs for amputees; served as assistant regional superior; and served as vicar for religious men and women in the Archdiocese of Manila. In 2002, he received the Papal Award Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice.
Born in New Rochelle, he served in the U.S. Navy for two years as hospital corpsman in the 1st Marine Aircraft in the South Pacific, and in the liberation of the Philippines.
He entered Maryknoll in 1946 and was ordained to the priesthood in 1956. He held a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from Maryknoll College, Lakewood, N.J., and a master’s in religious education from Maryknoll School of Theology, Ossining.
A Funeral Mass and burial occurred May 31 in the Philippines. A Memorial Mass was offered June 15 at the Maryknoll Center in Ossining.