Sister Teresa Kelly, S.C., formerly known as Sister Marilda John, who served at New York Foundling Hospital for 52 years, died May 18 at Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing Home in Pawling. She was 81.
She served at New York Foundling Hospital as director of Blaine Hall Diagnostic Center, 1987-2008; coordinator of Blaine Hall, 1976-1987; teacher and supervisor of a Montessori nursery, 1966-1976, and nursery supervisor, 1960-1962. Before making her final vows, she was an infant-care technician for four years at New York Foundling.
Sister Teresa taught first grade at St. Mary’s School, Yonkers, 1962-1966, and received the James Keller Award for her contributions to the well-being of young people in 2009.
Born in the Bronx, she entered the Sisters of Charity of New York in 1958 and professed final vows in 1965.
She earned a bachelor’s in history from the College of Mount St. Vincent and a master’s in administration and group work from New York University.
She is survived by her sister, Margaret Quartironi.A Funeral Mass was celebrated on May 23 at Mount St. Vincent Convent, the Bronx. Burial followed at St. Joseph Cemetery, Yonkers.