W. King Pound, who obtained national ads for Catholic newspapers and magazines during most of his 57-year career in advertising, died May 8 at his home in Baltimore. He was 82. A memorial service took place May 15 at Loudon Park cemetery in Baltimore, with interment to follow July 3 at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. Mr. Pound started his career in the Catholic press at The Catholic Review, Baltimore archdiocesan newspaper, and helped found the Catholic Standard newspaper in the Washington Archdiocese in 1951. He served as advertising manager and later general manager of the Washington newspaper. "We've lost one of our founding fathers," said Mark Zimmermann, editor of the Catholic Standard. "King Pound played a key role in our paper's growth and development...We owe him a great debt for his dedicated service to our readers." A member of St. William of York parish in Baltimore for his entire life, he is survived by his wife of 60 years, Patricia; two sons, William and Michael, and two daughters, Debbie Derwart and Christine Green; and a sister, Marie P. Lusby. He served as a tank commander under Gen. George Patton during the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. He was instrumental in founding the Catholic Markets Newspapers Association to obtain national advertising for Catholic newspapers across the country. He resigned from the Standard in 1983 to found King Pound Advertising Inc., his own retail advertising agency, and later incorporated KPA Media Network to succeed the association. In 1998 he formed Catholic Advertising Media as an adjunct to his agency and KPA. The Cathedral Foundation, parent company of The Catholic Review, purchased KPA in 2003, renaming it Advertising Media Plus Inc.