Sister Mary John Burke, S.R.C.M., who was the last surviving member of the Sisters of Reparation of the Congregation of Mary, died Sept. 14. She was 90.
Sister Mary John spent many of her early years serving in the convent at St. Zita’s Home for Friendless Women on 14th Street in Manhattan, where she assisted poor and homeless women.
During that time, she attended beauty school to learn how to style and cut hair to help the women look their best when they applied for employment. She also taught religious education classes to children at St. Joseph’s Convent.
After eight years at St. Joseph’s, she moved to St. Zita’s Villa in Monsey, where she cared for elderly women until her death.
Born in New York City, she entered the religious congregation and professed vows in 1949.
A Funeral Mass was offered in Our Lady of Knock Chapel at St. Zita’s Villa. Burial was in Calvary Cemetery, Queens.