A Founder's Vision
On August 15, 1981 Terence Cardinal Cooke shared with the priests of the archdiocese the convictions which led him to initiate the first official paper of the Archdiocese of New York. He said:
I believe this newspaper will:
* bring the work and message of the Church into the homes of our families in a fresh and interesting way;
* provide a forum for dialogue among our people, so necessary in these times of questioning, searching, misinformation;
* offer background and balance on important religious and theological issues;
* highlight the positive and practical, and often unnoticed, works of charity done by so many priests, religious and lay people in our parishes and institutions;
* become an invaluable educational tool for all of us as we strive to teach and live the Gospel of the Lord Jesus in the Archdiocese of New York.
He concluded by acknowledging the enthusiasm and generosity of spirit that would be evident in the collaboration so essential to "this new venture of Evangelization."
Catholic New York's Role in Evangelization
For information on the life and Sainthood Cause of Cardinal Cooke please click here.